SDSPA Membership Committees
The S.D. Specialty Producers Association (SDSPA) is made up of growers, processors, chefs, consumers, resource providers and others interested in producing, marketing and supporting South Dakota specialty crops, meats, and products.
We create opportunities for producers and others interested in the industry to learn, market, and network. From outreach to agritourism to supporting research to product identity we partner with other organizations to work on common goals to progress the industry in the state.
Member engagement is necessary to move efforts forward. The following committees and projects provide a wide range of options for participation. Members can notify the designated contact below to participate or select committees during our annual membership enrollment period in January of each year.
- Aggregation & Wholesale Market Efforts- In 2020 SDSPA was awarded a SCBG to connect specialty producers interested in exploring product aggregation. Contact us if interested in joining these conversations to explore how aggregating products could potentially tap a larger market share through join distribution. Email Us
- Agritourism Efforts– Represent the industry by participating in the statewide Agritourism Working Group and the events and activities that this group coordinates. Report efforts back to the organization and make suggestions where SDSPA can focus its efforts. Email Us
- Board Membership- Members guide SDSPA towards a sustainable future by long-term planning of the organization, shaping governance and financial management policies, and ensure that our organization has adequate resources to advance its mission. They also participate in directing contractor work. Email Us
- Education- Members identify educational needs and resources, share information through workshops and presentations at various events such as farm tours, virtual webinars, workshops, or other relevant events. Email Us
- Famers Market Workgroup – A statewide group was launched in 2020 to discuss educational and marketing needs and statewide initiatives. The group has the ability to coordinate statewide programming and promotion and become a collective voice for S.D. Farmers Markets. Email Us
- Grant Support – In close relationship with the Board, provide assistance in finding relevant funding sources, drafting narrative, establishing budgets or proof-reading grant applications. Email Us
- Legislative Action – Members follow action during the legislative season and provide updates to distribute to membership. Includes monitoring membership needs and participating in efforts to move legislative action and position statements forward. Email Us
- Local Food Events– Help with the promotion of local foods by assisting with the planning of events at farmers markets, in communities or at other venues. May also assist with event marketing, registration, and photography of the events. Participation is welcome at events near your community to state-wide events. Email Us
- Research- Interested in participating in on-farm research or have a research idea? Let us know! Email Us
- S.D. Local Foods Conference – Participate in the planning of the conference. Participants can select specific sub-committees of interest (presentations, marketing, fundraising, food, etc.). This state-wide event moves to a different community annually and was held virtually in 2020. Email Us
- Social Media – Help create posts for the SDSPA Facebook page and events. Add content from newsletters to Facebook postings. Assist with responding to Facebook messages. Email Us
- State Fair Showcase- Producers present their work and products in a booth during Value-Added Ag Day at the State Fair in Huron. Optional presentation and demonstration opportunities also available. Email Us
- Tour Host – Host a tour on your property to teach others about your production, processing or marketing knowledge. Support is also welcome for those interested in assisting with event marketing, registration, and photography of the events. Email Us
- Website- Provide input and content for producer product (industry) pages on the SDSPA website. The pages provide an outreach tool for product sourcing, production and regulatory information, and awareness of supporting organizations. Feature articles for our blog and content development for other supporting areas of expertise are also welcome. Email Us