Public Voting Open for S.D. Specialty Crop Producer of the Year
The South Dakota Specialty Producers Association (SDSPA) invites the public to participate in voting for the S.D. Specialty Crop Producer of the Year Award. Cast votes by Oct. 15, 2021 for a farmer who has made a significant contribution to specialty crop production in the state.
The award is sponsored in part by the South Dakota Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources (DANR).
Specialty crops include fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, and nursery crops, including floriculture. Four candidates have moved forward for public voting.
- Kyle Cox, Cox’s Farm Stand, Vale S.D.
- Sam & Heidi Heikes, Heikes Family Farm, LLC, Vermillion, S.D.
- Vaughn Reints, Better Roots Farm, LLC, Pierpont, S.D.
- Kent & Jo Wilsey, Elk Creek Foods, Elm Springs, SD
To learn more about the four candidates and to access the voting form click here.View Nominees & Cast Vote
The S.D. Specialty Crop Producer of the Year is someone who:
- Provides visionary leadership to South Dakota’s agricultural industry, and advocates for specialty crops – fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, and nursery crops, including floriculture.
- Actively promotes growth, innovation, and prosperity for South Dakota local food systems and specialty crops.
- Mentors new and beginner farmers and invests in the next generation of producers.
The winner will be announced during the S.D. Local Foods Conference on Nov. 5, 2021.
The four nominees for S.D. Specialty Crop Producer of the Year will receive a complimentary full conference pass to the S.D. Local Foods Conference. The winner will receive a free one-year membership to the S.D. Specialty Producers Association. They will also be featured in a state-wide press release, on the SDSPA website and Facebook site, and in the SDSPA newsletter.