Buy Local Even in South Dakota’s Winter Months
Most South Dakotans think of local foods as seasonal items. But even through our cold winters, more and more local food hubs, farmers markets and direct to consumer producers are open for business year-round. Our access to fresh, healthy local food has never been better.
Several farmers markets and food hubs across the state are open year-round for online ordering, pick up or delivery.
The Vermillion Area Farmers Market has been year-round for ten years, and offered online ordering and pickup for the first time this year, which became a popular option in winter.
“It was a good decision to go online,” Amy Schweinle, Market Manager said. “We just keep growing our year-round sales and selection.”
Stensland Farms delicious dairy products are sold in many grocery and Lewis Drug stores around Sioux Falls, but their ice cream parlours also carry local milk, cream, cheeses, organic eggs, and pizza made with all local homemade ingredients fresh from their farm. You can even buy the sauce. Curbside pickup and shipping is available.
Other options include South Dakota produced grain and meats. Belle Valley Ancient Grains out of Newell, S.D. offers whole grains and fresh milled flour. Evergreen Ranching & Livestock in Custer, S.D. offers a range of meats and grilling bundles. Not located in these communities? Producers are willing to ship.
“We have inexpensive shipping within South Dakota, even for bulk shipments, and even free shipping over $35 on our Etsy site,” Brian Stambaugh, Belle Valley Ancient Grains owner and operator said.
Other locally grown, then preserved products are also available. Sunset Gardens on the Minnesota border near Sisseton has a wide range of herbs and value-added products.
“We have a large variety of organically grown and naturally dried culinary and medicinal herbs. We also make teas in bulk packages and individual tea bags. And while supplies last, we have verified value-added products such as jams, salsa and pickled beets,” Bev Lamers, Sunset Gardens owner and operator said.
Here is a listing of food hubs, farmers markets, and producers we found who have local foods available through the winter in South Dakota:
- Black Hills Farmers Market, Rapid City, SD
- 245 E. Omaha St, Rapid City
- Online ordering for pick up on Saturdays 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Falls Park Farmers Market, Sioux Falls, SD
- 309 East Falls Park Drive, Sioux Falls
- The market offers an online option for Saturday pick up the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month. Orders taken from noon Monday prior through Wednesday.
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market, Vermillion, SD
- 312 Bower St. Vermillion, SD 57069
- Winter markets 2nd & 4th Saturday each month, online orders taken until Thursday prior to market.
- Dakota Fresh Food Hub
- Brookings & Sioux Falls Pick up sites
- A farmer-owned collective that offers the ability to purchase directly from many local farmers with one order via an online marketplace year round. Weekly delivery.
- Glory Garden, Sioux Falls, SD
- Partners with other local farmers to provide a variety of products- eggs meat, honey, mushrooms, produce, organic dried beans, wheat berries, and flaxseed. Monthly deliveries on the 2nd Tuesday of the month with ordering open the Friday before delivery.
- Stensland Farms, Larchwood, IA
- Sioux Falls East 4712 E 41st St; (605) 271-2962
- Sioux Falls Central 3101 West 41st St, 57105; (605) 271-0833
- Ice cream, milk, cream, organic eggs, pizza
- A Berry Acres, Canton, SD
- Albrechts Angel Honey, Huron, SD
- Bear Butte Gardens, Sturgis, SD
- Greens, salad mix, herbs, potatoes, and meats
- Belle Valley Ancient Grains, Newell, SD
- Certified Organic heirloom wheat, flax ancient grains, and flour
- Etsy Site
- Black Hills Honey Farm, Spearfish, SD
- Raw Honey
- Evergreen Ranching & Livestock, Custer, SD
- Grass fed, Grass finished beef, Free range eggs and chicken, wild caught fish, and more.
- Farmlife Creamery, Ethan, SD
- Gundy’s Farmers Market, Yankton, SD
- Grass-fed beef, pork, lamb, poultry, eggs, value added goods, aronia berries
- Happy Hydros, Pukwana, SD
- Lakota Youth Development & Honey Lodge, Herrick, SD
- Honey, Candles Body Care, Gifts
- (605) 654-2050
- Prairie Coteau Farm, Astoria SD
- (605) 832-2062
- Prairie Moon Herbs, Vermillion, SD
- Teas, herbal plants
- (605) 670-0540
- Prairie Sky Farm, Corsica, SD
- Poultry products
- Some limited delivery to major towns in South Dakota.
- 2nd St Produce, Pipestone, MN
- (612) 280-9788
- Sturgis Meats, Sturgis, SD
- Beef Jerky
- Sunset Gardens, Browns Valley, MN
- Organically grown, naturally dried culinary and medicinal herbs. Teas, jams, salsa and pickled beets
- (605) 742-4174
- Warners Produce, Montrose, SD
- (605) 201-7409
Contact us if you would like to be added to our online list.