Website Development Program Available for Specialty Producers
The South Dakota Specialty Producers Association (SDSPA) is continuing a program that offers assistance in building new websites or updating the look, mobile accessibility, or Search Engine Optimization of an existing website for specialty crop producers.
SDSPA received a Specialty Crop Block Grant in the fall of 2019 to aid producers in website development. So far, four websites have been sponsored and created. Six sites are still available for producers of specialty crops in South Dakota.
Now more than ever, a website is an essential business tool for producers to promote their business and increase sales of specialty crops. The websites will include four pages. The ‘Homepage’ will introduce the producer through text and photos. The ‘About Us’ page will give a company history and tell the producer’s story. The ‘Services/Products Page’ will contain a list of client’s services or products. The ‘Contact Us’ page will contain a form allowing website visitors to send a message to the producer.
The website created for the producer will be mobile friendly. The site design will be made to match any existing logo colors. If the producer does not have a logo they can choose colors of their liking. Some form of analytics will be set up on the site. The producer will own the intellectual property rights to all text, graphics, photos, designs, and visual elements that are created for the website.
To apply for SDSPA’s Website Sponsorship Program eligible producers must sell a specialty crop as defined by USDA. Specialty crops are defined in law as “fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits and horticulture and nursery crops, including floriculture”.
The producer will also agree to these terms:
- Must join or be an existing member of SDSPA ($25 annually).
- Have an email account or be able to create one.
- Purchase a domain, which costs approximately $45, if the producer does not currently own a domain.
- Pay for 1-year of hosting, which costs approximately $120. If the producer currently has a hosting package it must be on a platform the designer can access and have a website builder app available.
- Provide all photos, videos, art work, and text for the website at the expense of the producer. The producer will guarantee they have the rights to use any elements provided and that the elements are free from copyright infringement.
- Agree to provide quarterly analytic data to SDSPA for the purpose of grant through June of 2022. The web designer will help set up this system.
If interested in applying for SDSPA’s Website Sponsorship Program complete and return the Application by Dec. 31. A juried panel will review the applications in January and six producers will be chosen to receive websites. January through April producers will be notified they have been selected and contacted by the web designer to start designing.
Please contact SDSPA at email@example.com with questions.