Featured at the Sioux Falls Local Foods Fair, 2019, Chef Ellen Doerr, Chef Ellen Catering
Chard-Basil Pesto & Sausage Stuffed Patty Pan Squash
Ingredients for Pesto
- 1 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 25 leaves Swiss chard, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 c. basil leaf
- 2 1/2 c. walnut
- 1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 7 1/2 oz. grated parmesan cheese, (nutritional yeast for dairy free)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Ingredients for Main Dish
- 6 1/4 lb. Italian pork Sausage
- 25 oz. orzo pasta
- 25 small or 5 large patty pan or ball squash
- 6 1/4 lb. broccoli, chopped
- 5 c. cherry tomato, halved or quartered
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in skillet over medium heat and stir in Swiss chard and garlic in hot oil until the chard leaves have wilted, 3-5 min. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Process the basil, walnuts, sea salt, Parmesan cheese, and remaining olive oil in food processor until all the ingredients are well integrated. Add Swiss chard mixture and lemon juice to food processor; continue chopping until the mixture is pureed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove tops of squash and use spoon to hollow out, reserving extra squash. Brush with olive oil, salt and pepper; roast gently for 5-10 min. until color brightens and squash softens slightly.
- In separate pot, boil water and cook pasta per package instructions, adding in broccoli for the last 2 min. of cooking time, drain.
- In large skillet, brown sausage and crumble over medium-high heat. Add in reserved squash and tomatoes and continue to sauce until tomatoes blister.
- In large bowl, mix pasta with the sausage mixture and toss with pesto sauce. Spoon into squash and serve, topping with parmesan cheese if desired.