With the growing interest and demand for experiential travel and authentic vacation experiences, the South Dakota Department of Tourism is putting an emphasis on agritourism as a result of its new strategic plan.
The department hopes to not only promote existing offerings, but also work with partners and entities across the state to assist those who are looking to start a new business or expand their existing operation to include an experience for visitors.
Ten individuals who represent a number of different entities and state agencies are now be collaborating to work on these efforts within the Agritourism Work Group.
Early on, it was clear that partnering and working together is the only way to make significant progress, each entity has an area of expertise or resources they can bring to the table. The current individuals in the work group are listed below. We’re all very excited to work with each of you as we grow agritourism in the state!
- Kim Brannen – SD Specialty Producers Association
- Cheri Rath – SD Value Added Ag
- Kirk Hulstein – SD Dept. of Tourism
- Eric Fosheim – GOED
- Bob Weyrich – SD Dept. of Ag
- Peggy Schlechter – SDSU Extension
- Kari O’Neil – SDSU Extension
- Neil Wagner – SD Dept. of Tourism
- Ginger McNickle – Southeast Technical Institute
- Christine Sorensen – USDA Rural Development